All-time Most Popular Posts

This Week's Most Popular Posts

Thursday, September 1, 2011

My Absolute Favorite Rich and Fudgey Brownies!!! *revised*

Hi Everyone!

So, I've been on a huge baking streak lately.  I've been baking cakes galore to practice my decorating skills and to work on my Dominican cake recipe.  Beyond the cakes, I've also been practicing dessert sauces and cake fillings--rum caramel sauce, chocolate sauce, pineapple filling, strawberry filling, etc.  Well, the other day I made brownies.  I am very particular about brownies.  For one, I'm really funny about chocolate in general.  I don't eat Hershey's because it's gross.  In fact, most American chocolate grosses me out.  So it almost goes without saying that I highly recommend using quality chocolate for this recipe.  Going with the cheap stuff really does crock the taste.  I recommend Godiva or Ghirardelli.  Although Lindt could work, I find it to be excessively creamy and, thus, excessively fattening.

Well, beyond my pickiness with chocolate, I also strongly prefer a certain type of brownie--fudgey, but not too fudgey; chewy, but not too chewy; and nice and chocolately.  This brownie gets a definite A+ from me on all fronts.  It has a nice, rich chocolate flavor and just the right amount of chewiness, while being super moist without being outright wet and raw-feeling in texture.  Bake these super easy-to-make brownies and you'll be sure to please any crowd!  They are slightly more work than the typical pour and mix brownie, but I promise you they're well worth it!

The original recipe is from The Modern Baker by Malgieri, but I substitute pecans in place of the cocoa nibs.

Enjoy!


What you will need:
1 9 x 13 x 2
1 electric mixer
1 medium sauce pan

Ingredients:
8 oz unsalted butter cut into 12 pieces
9 0z bittersweet chocolate, cut in 1/4” pieces
1-1/4 cup dark brown sugar firmly packed
4 large eggs
¾ cup granulated sugar
½ tsp salt
1 TB vanilla
1 – ¼ cups flour (leveled)
½ cup pecans
1 TB cocoa
Pan lined with buttered foil

Procedure:
Preheat oven to 350
Put butter in saucepan over medium heat, stir 2-3 times, let bubble 10 seconds and add chocolate off heat. 

Gently shake pan to submerge chocolate. Set aside so chocolate melts and use whisk to smooth

Beat brown sugar w/ 1 egg with electric mixer. Add rest of eggs one at a time. 

Add chocolate and butter mixture and beat in.

Add salt, sugar, vanilla, and beat until smooth. 

Fold in flour and cocoa.

Fold in 3/4 of the total amount of pecans.

Sprinkle remaining 1/4 of the pecans on top of batter.

Bake until firm, but still moist in center, typically about 35-40 minutes. The center should spring up when touched.

From The Modern Baker – Nick Malgieri

No comments:

Post a Comment