All-time Most Popular Posts

This Week's Most Popular Posts

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Filipino Chicken Adobo (Adobong Manok)

Hi everyone!

So during the long hiatus, while I was moving, moving, moving again, and finally unpacking and settling in, I picked up a few new tricks.  I've been looking at Filipino recipes on YouTube and studying the science of good, homestyle Filipino cooking for the past year.  Though I hadn't yet mentioned these dishes or took the steps to make them, they've been on my list for quite a while.  Well, last month I finally went ahead and tried my hand at it.  Let me just say first that Filipino food has to be one of the easiest foods to make and the reward is definitely greater than the required. investment of time and effort.

Typical Filipino food is tangy with a slight sweetness and generally involves some sort of stew.  The base flavors of the most common dishes are tomato and some sort of acid, be it a type of white vinegar or lime juice. Among the most commonly used seasonings are onions, garlic, and soy sauce.  It's amazing what flavor you can get out of such very simple ingredients!

Although the first dish that I made was chicken asado, unfortunately, I did not record that recipe so the recipe I will share today is, very appropriately, the Filipino national dish, adobo.  In the case of this particular recipe, we will be doing chicken adobo.  As I mentioned, this is very easy to make.  Filipino food has become one of my go-tos for quick dinners after a long day at work and running some evening errands.

Enjoy!  If you try it, let me know what you think!  And as always, if you have any questions feel free to ask away :).  I'd love to hear from you!

Ingredients:
6 drumsticks
3-4 cloves of garlic
6 TB soy sauce *remember to check that soybeans are actually on the list of ingredients*
half a stick of butter, melted
about half a small onion, diced
3 bay leaves
4 TB cane vinegar (found in most SE Asian markets)
salt and black pepper to taste

References: Pinoy Recipes - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT-d6iuWWn0, Panlasang Pinoy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlCXyE5KebM








And just as a disclaimer, I only tasted with my finger because no one was going to eat it but me.  It was for MY lunch :).

No comments:

Post a Comment