Although I'm not much of a breakfast meat person, I'm such a sucker for a good sausage gravy. There's just something about that warm, delicious, comforting gravy on fluffy biscuits in the morning. Mmmm, mmm! There's nothing like it!
Traditionally, sausage gravy is seasoned with simply salt and pepper, but this is my zestier, more flavorful recipe that has a great mildly herby flavor and the perfect spicy bite.
3 breakfast sausage rounds (broken into bits) or the equivalent of ground sausage
1 TB minced onion
1 garlic clove, minced
3 TB butter (if your sausage does not make enough fat)
1/4 cup flour
1 cup of milk, more if you want a thinner gravy
1/8 tsp sage
1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
a few dashes of smoked paprika if your sausage isn't smoky enough (optional)
salt and black pepper to taste
1. Saute the onions over medium low heat until soft and translucent. At this point, add in the garlic until fragrant.
2. Raise the heat to medium high and add in the sausage and brown it, breaking it up into bits. Meanwhile, season it with all of the spices.
3. Once the sausage is browned and thoroughly cooked, add in the butter and allow it to melt. After the butter melts, gradually stir in flour until you achieve a homogeneous meat paste.
4. At this point, gradually add in the milk until you achieve a homogeneous gravy. Bring the gravy up to a boil and cook until it thickens, about a minute or so after it boils.
5. Enjoy over split hot biscuits or incorporate into a baked breakfast casserole.
All-time Most Popular Posts
One of my favorite foods on earth is pernil, or latin style pulled pork. It's juicy, it's citrus-y, it's herby, it has the yum...
Sopes, also known as pellizcadas, migadas, or picadas, are a delicious traditional Mexican antojito , or appetizer. They are very eas...
This Week's Most Popular Posts
Mmmmm, kaw (kaw saik jrouk) is one of my favorite Cambodian dishes. I absolutely love it's delicious caramelized yumminess! It is...
Hi everyone! I always feel so rude not saying hi. I hope that you guys are having a great weekend. I've been doing a two week no j...