All-time Most Popular Posts

This Week's Most Popular Posts

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Mini Pecan Peach Cobblers




I love summertime!  One of my favorite things about summer is the abundance of fresh produce from right here in the US.  It's May and delicious peaches are starting to fill displays in local supermarkets.  I picked up just 3 peaches today because I wasn't liking the produce at the particular grocery store that I stopped at after a doctor's visit.  I wanted peaches to eat, but they were super small and I was doubtful that they'd be the sweet, juicy peaches that I love.  What to do, what do, right?

Well, I'll be moving soon so I am trying to use up everything in my cabinet, but I was not up to having a full size dessert around--ta-da individual peach cobblers : D!  This recipe is perfect for a quick and easy little sweet bite after a busy day at work.  This recipe makes just enough for 4 ramekins of little cobblers. This particular version of peach cobbler highlights the tangy freshness of the peaches so it  has just a touch of cinnamon with a nice brightness from lemon zest.  The crust is an amazing rich, buttery, mile-high crust that's almost like a super tender, airy, yet dense cake with amazing crispy edges.  I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did!



Ingredients

crust
1 cup flour
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 TB lard (or shortening or very cold butter or a mix)
1/2 c sugar (I used all Florida Crystals turbinado sugar for a nice, rich crust flavor)
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
Zest of half a lemon 
1heaping TB chopped pecans

filling
4 medium peaches
zest of 1/2 lemon
about 2 TB white sugar
a light dash of cinnamon
pinch of salt (optional)

Procedure
1. Blanch peaches for 30 seconds to 1 minute to facilitate peeling.  Peel peaches once cool enough to handle and slice to desired size.  I chopped my slices in half lengthwise for a nice bite size.

2. Meanwhile, blend the flour with salt, sugar, baking powder, zest, and pecans.  Once blended, cut the lard into the dough using a pastry blender until the fat is pea-sized.  Gradually and gently stir in milk until all ingredients are moistened completely.

3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F

4. In a pot over medium heat, place all filling ingredients and allow to cook, stirring occasionally, until peaches are softened but still have a nice bite left.

5. Spray 4 ramekins with cooking spray and divide filling among the ramekins.  Top the filling with an equal amount of topping and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and bubbly and dough springs back when touched. If you like more crunch, you can sprinkle extra sugar on top.

This recipe was inspired by:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/10/skinny-apple-cobbler.html and http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2011/09/crazy-basil-peach-black-pepper.html

No comments:

Post a Comment