Hearty Ground Beef and Veggie Chili
1lb ground beef
1 handful baby carrots and 1 stalk celery, sautéed until softened and pureed with a couple TB water
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium bell pepper, chopped
3 red serrano peppers, thinly sliced
3-4 cloves garlic, smashed
3 fresh tomatoes, chopped
2 heaping TB tomato paste
½ TB cumin
½ tsp cinnamon
1 pinch oregano
1 tsp chilli pepper
¼ tsp Mexican style hot chili powder
A few dashed Hungarian hot paprika
2tsp cocoa powder
2 maggi chicken bouillon cubes, dissolved in ½-1c water
2 TB maseca
1 cup chopped portabello mushroom
Lots of salt
Few Dashes of pepper
1. In a small pan, sautee the onions, bell pepper, and serrano peppers in a TB lard or vegetable oil until translucent. Stir in garlic and sautee until fragrant.
2. Meanwhile, over medium heat, sautee ground beef, being sure to break up the beef with a spatula, until it begins to brown. Strain oil off. Stir in onion mixture, tomato paste, and carrot mixture. Sautee for a few minutes.
3. Stir in dry seasoning and continue cooking.
4. Once beef is almost done, taste for salt and stir in chicken bouillon and maseca.
5. Once beef is done, stir in portabello and chopped tomatoes. Continue cooking until veggies have softened a bit, but still have bite, and the beef is fully cooked.