I love homemade custard. When I was in Miami, I absolutely loved the Cuban natilla from the bakery or the pastry cream in the delicious Cuban pastries. This is my version of the Cuban favorite. It has more egg yolks and no cornstarch, as used in the old school version, so it is richer. Mmmm, mmm. This recipe is creamy, flavorful, but not too sweet, and it has a delicious flavor boost from the lime zest and cinnamon. Enjoy a small bowl of this tasty treat for dessert. It's so deliciously indulgent!
Natilla Cubana - Cuban Style Homemade Custard
3 egg yolks
1/2 c + 2TB sugar (natural or turbinado sugar preferred)
1 piece/strip of lime zest
1 small cinnamon stick or half a cinnmon stick
1 split vanilla bean, 1 tsp vanilla, or 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
1. In a heat safe bowl, whisk the yolks along with 1/3 of the sugar until a thick ribbon consistency is achieved. This means that when you lift a spoonful of the mixture and pour it, it forms thick ribbon like folds.
2. Meanwhile, place the milk, lime zest, cinnamon stick, and vanilla over medium heat. Once boiling, strain and pour the milk over the yolk mixture, whisking rapidly.
3. Once well-blended, return the blended mixture to the pan and return to medium heat, stirring constantly.
4. Once the mixture reaches a boil, allow to boil for two minutes, continuing to whisk. At this point, return the thickened mixture to the heat safe bowl.
5. Top the mixture with either sifted confectioner's sugar or small pats of butter to prevent the formation of a skin on top of the custard. Allow to cool and then refrigerate before serving.
*This is a fairly small recipe, so if you have a larger family, it can be easily doubled.
All-time Most Popular Posts
One of my favorite foods on earth is pernil, or latin style pulled pork. It's juicy, it's citrus-y, it's herby, it has the yum...
Sopes, also known as pellizcadas, migadas, or picadas, are a delicious traditional Mexican antojito , or appetizer. They are very eas...
This Week's Most Popular Posts
Mmmmm, kaw (kaw saik jrouk) is one of my favorite Cambodian dishes. I absolutely love it's delicious caramelized yumminess! It is...
Hi everyone! I always feel so rude not saying hi. I hope that you guys are having a great weekend. I've been doing a two week no j...