First off, thank goodness for vegans!! Phew! Now that I've gotten that off of my chest, I have to admit that I used to be a bit of a special diet hater. I could deal with vegetarians, and even relate to them, but there was something about veganism that irritated me. How could you dare go to someone's house and expect them to comply with your dietary needs, how can you study abroad and think that people should change everything in their kitchen to vegan just for you? Selfish!
Well, well, well, here I am, more like a vegan than I'd ever hoped to be, but not by choice. Health changes have forced me to temporarily forgo diary of any kind, although I can have meat. This baker had to learn to give everything an eggless and butter-free makeover. One of the first recipes I made to comply with my new dietary restrictions was the most basic of them all--pancakes. My first try was delicious and tender, but it had a crumbly mouth feel, and the coconut milk flavor was stronger than I preferred. With a few small modifications, I give to you the perfect vegan pancakes! Test them on anyone! They'll never know and I'll never tell...shhh!
Walnut Chip Pancakes
1 cup flour
2 TB baking powder
1/4 tsp salt (regular, not iodized)
1 heaping TB of sugar
1c coconut milk*
2 TB oil
1 TB honey
a few drops of butter flavoring
1 tsp vanilla extra
1/2 - 1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 - 1/4 c chopped walnuts (unsalted)
about 1/8 c Godiva dark chocolate chips
Additional oil for cooking
1. Set stove to medium-low heat.
2. Stir together flour, baking powder, salt until well-blended.
3. In a separate bowl, combine together milk, oil, honey, vanilla, butter flavoring, and cinnamon.
4. Combine the wet and dry ingredients with a whisk until smooth.
5. Once combined, stir in chopped walnuts and chocolate chips.
6. Once pan is heated, add oil, allow to heat, and spoon batter into pan.
7. Cook pancakes until bubbles appear in the middle of the pancake. Carefully flip and cook until golden brown.
*In addition to regular coconut milk, you can either use powdered coconut milk hydrated with water, or you can use the 5 oz can of coconut milk with additional water added to complete the full cup needed