Popular Posts

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Mimi's Cafe - Short Pump

Hi everyone!

It's been a little while since I've posted a restaurant review, but last weekend I tried a new place. A friend celebrated her birthday at Mimi's Cafe in the Short Pump area. It had a nice, intimate, homey atmosphere food-wise and ambience-wise. We sat in the banquet room in the back and that was nice as well and the manager made a great effort to be sure that we were well taken care of. Although they were, unfortunately, out of ribs (they have a special with ribs) and later ran out of fettuccine pasta, they did their best to accommodate us. About 6 of us got the same dish, the Santa Fe Shrimp and Chicken Fettuccine, so one person had to have the dish made with penne. It was very flavorful, flavored with the perfect amount of seasoning. What's nice, too, is that is was just the right amount. I don't know about you all, but sometimes I just don't want to have leftovers.

I ordered the Quiche Lorraine. It was very tasty. Perfectly cooked, perfect amount of bacon and cheese. The bread basket the food is served with is delicious as well. I loved the carrot loaf. It was very moist and flavorful without being too sweet and had the perfect amount of cinnamon and plump raisins. I would definitely consider it to be very dessert-like, but that was a nice surprise for me :). My sweet tooth likes those sorts of surprises :). The quiche also came with a nice, big fluffy and moist muffin. I think it was carrot as well and it was very good!

Overall, I just wasn't amazed by this place for dinner. The food was good, but I would imagine not everything would be so great. The pasta dish was definitely tasty, as was the quiche. The brownie was super hard though. I was very disappointed with that. In general, the place just wasn't anything spectacular. I guess if you take it for what it is--a cafe--it lives up to the standards of its name. It's very much basics as far as flavor and variety goes. It just wasn't anything spectacular on the menu to make me say Wow, I just have to go to Mimi's today! It was all food you could, quite honestly, find at a quality grocer's freezer and bakery and be perfectly content. You could get good carrot cake and muffins at Sam's and quality grocer's freezer quiche is not hard to find at all. I just was not wowed at all. It was good, but you won't find yourself dying for more. It was just sufficient and nothing more. They really need something to make themselves stand out. It was just too ordinary and everyday for me to go back. Kitchen 64 has a similar concept as far as the cafe-like feel, but they've still managed to take the ordinary up a notch to wow us all. Being where they are as well, in the Short Pump area with so much competition, they've got to really step it up. I'm pretty sure you'll get wowed at California Pizza Kitchen before you do at Mimi's.

All in all, I think what I'm saying is don't bother, my friends. At the same time, if you're invited there, you don't have to cringe or beg to go somewhere else. It isn't bad, just not amazing.

11275 W Broad St
Glen Allen, VA 23060-5817
(804) 364-9275

No comments:

Post a Comment